Pumpkin-Maple Cream Trifle
This stunning dessert can be made a day in advance, making it perfect for holiday entertaining.
- Maple Walnuts (optional, see Cook's Tip)
- 1 box (14.4 oz/400 g) whole graham crackers (5 x 2 in./13 x 5 cm)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plus 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup (do not use maple-flavored pancake syrup), divided
- 1 pkg (3.4 oz/102 g) cheesecake or vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) (1 3/4 cups/425 mL)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
- 1 container (12 oz/1 L) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Additional cinnamon
Prepare Maple Walnuts, if desired; set aside. Coarsely break graham crackers into Stainless (6-qt./6-L) Mixing Bowl. Place ½ cup (125 mL) of the maple syrup in a Small Batter Bowl; microwave on HIGH 60-90 seconds or until hot. Pour hot syrup over crackers; toss to coat and set aside.
For pumpkin filling, combine pudding mix and milk in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; whisk until mixture begins to thicken. Add pumpkin and spice blend to pudding mixture; whisk well. Fold 2 cups (500 mL) of the whipped topping into pudding mixture; set aside.
For maple cream, combine remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup and remaining whipped topping in Stainless (2-qt./2-L) Mixing Bowl; fold gently. Attach open star tip to Easy Accent® Decorator; fill with 2/3 cup (150 mL) of the maple cream and set aside for garnish.
To assemble trifle, place one-third of the graham cracker mixture over bottom of Trifle Bowl. Top with half of the pumpkin filling, spreading to edges. Top with another third of the graham cracker mixture. Top with remaining maple cream, spreading to edges. Top with remaining graham cracker mixture and pumpkin filling. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with Maple Walnuts, if desired, and pipe with reserved maple cream. Sprinkle with additional spice blend, if desired.
- 24 servings of about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 180, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 160 mg, Fiber 2 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat (2 carb)
Soaking the graham crackers with hot maple syrup will soften the crackers to a cake-like consistency.