Seared Lemon Broccolini Medley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 large lemon, cut into ¼" (6 mm) thick slices
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, stems diced and leaves chopped into 3" (7.5 cm) pieces
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) coarsley ground salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 bunches broccolini, cut into 4" (10 cm) lengths (about 2lb/1kg)
- ½ cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15mL) pine nuts
Melt butter in a 12" (30 cm) Executive Skillet over medium heat. Add the lemon slices and cook undisturbed for 3 minutes per side. Remove the slices from the skillet and set aside.
Add the Swiss chard stems, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the broccolini and garlic pressed with the Garlic Press; cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the Swiss chard leaves and broth, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 6–8 minutes or until the broccolini is crisp-tender and the Swiss chard is wilted, stirring occasionally.
Top medley with the Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and seared lemon slices.
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (about ½ cup/125 mL): Calories 45, Total Fat 1.5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 140 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 3 g
Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale. It grows in slender individual stalks, topped by small florets. Broccolini stalks cook faster than broccoli.