Chili Bread Bowls
Starting with planned-over meat sauce makes preparing bread bowls and chili, in the style of bakery chains, a possible option for a weekend lunch.
- Bread Bowls
- 2 packages (13.8 ounces each) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 recipe (5 cups) prepared Hearty Meat Sauce (p.58)
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chili beans in sauce, undrained
- 1 envelope (1.25-1.48 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- Sliced green onions with tops (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove pizza crust dough from packages; do not unroll. Cut each portion of dough crosswise into thirds to form six equal portions. Place dough, cut-side down, on Large Round Stone with Handles; press lightly to form 4-inch rounds. Brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 21-23 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack.
Meanwhile, in (3-qt.) Saucepan combine meat sauce, chili beans and seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes.
To serve, slice off top of each bread round; carefully remove centers to form bowls. Place bread bowls into serving bowls; ladle chili into bread bowls. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 670, Total Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Carbohydrate 88 g, Protein 35 g, Sodium 2180 mg, Fiber 9 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
5 starch, 3 medium-fat meat (5 carb)
Hearty Meat Sauce
3 medium onions, chopped
3 pounds 90% lean ground beef
3 garlic cloves, pressed
3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1. Chop onions using Food Chopper. Heat (12-in.) Skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions, ground beef and garlic pressed with Garlic Press. Cook 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain.
2. Transfer meat mixture to (8-qt.) Stockpot. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 40-45 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. Place about 5 cups of sauce in separate freezer containers. Refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Yield: 15 cups
Chili seasoning mix consists of chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and other spices. It can be found in the spice aisle of the grocery store near the other seasoning mix packets.
These handy, edible bowls can also be used for dips, hearty soups or stews.