Tuscan Salmon and Bean Salad
This is a delicious example of a composed salad, in which ingredients are arranged rather than tossed together. In this case, each guest can build his or her own masterpiece.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) small capers, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) snipped fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- Bean Spread and Salad
- 1` can (15 oz or 540 mL) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped roasted red pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) skinless salmon fillet, poached (see Chef's Corner)
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) small capers
- 8 thin slices ciabatta bread, toasted
For dressing, whisk ingredients in Small Batter Bowl until well blended. For bean spread, mash 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the beans with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the dressing in Prep Bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For salad, combine remaining beans, red pepper and poached salmon in Stainless (2-qt./2 L) Mixing Bowl. Drizzle 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Cover; refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
When ready to serve, spoon bean mixture evenly into small serving bowls. Arrange tomato and bread slices on serving plates; spoon salad next to tomatoes. Garnish with capers. To serve, spread bean spread on ciabatta bread slices; top with tomato slices and salad.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 440, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Protein 19 g, Sodium 940 mg, Fiber 5 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (2 1/2 carb)
For Poached Salmon, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water in (10-in./25 cm) Skillet. Add 4 lemon slices, 4 sprigs fresh parsley and 4 whole black peppercorns; bring to a boil. Place salmon on top of lemon slices; cover. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook 7-9 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork. Remove salmon from Skillet; cool completely. Flake into small chunks using a fork.