Spinach Tortellini Soup
This quick, satisfying pasta soup is a welcome meal any time of the year.
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cans (14-14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) uncooked refrigerated cheese-filled spinach tortellini
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
Chop carrots and onion using Food Chopper. Heat oil in (4-qt.) Casserole over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add carrots, onion, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and Italian seasoning; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in tortellini, beans and black pepper. Boil gently 7-9 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Cover; let stand 3 minutes. Using Rotary Grater, grate Parmesan cheese over each serving, if desired. Serve immediately.
- about 9 cups
6 servings of 1 1/2 cups
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 180, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g, Protein 9 g, Sodium 1140 mg, Fiber 4 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 1/2 starch, 1 low-fat meat (1 1/2 carb)
For variety, substitute another flavor of filled tortellini for cheese-filled spinach tortellini.