Jamaican Jerk Chicken Sandwich
You can skip the bread and serve the chicken and pineapple pico de gallo on top of a simple salad. (the pico de gallo is great with chips, too!)
- Chicken & Cooking Liquid
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 green onions, white and light green part only, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Jamaican Jerk Rub
- 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar
- 1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken tenders, cut in half lengthwise and across
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- Pineapple Pico de Gallo
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped pineapple, canned or fresh
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green onion, green part only, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ lime, juiced
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Jamaican Jerk Rub
- ½ lime, juiced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 sandwich rolls, split and toasted
Combine the soy sauce, onion, vinegar, rub, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the chicken tenders and toss to coat. Let them sit in the refrigerator, covered, for 10–30 minutes.
Combine the ingredients for the pineapple pico de gallo in a small bowl; set aside.
Heat the oil in a 5-qt. (4.7-L) Nonstick Saute Pan over medium heat for 3–4 minutes. Add the chicken and marinade to the skillet and cook, turning halfway through, until the liquid evaporates, and the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C), 8–10 minutes.
Combine the mayonnaise, rub, and lime juice. Spread on both sides of the buns. Place the lettuce on the bottom bun. Top with the chicken and the pineapple pico de gallo. Add the top of the bun.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 270, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 800 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 6 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 23 g
Vegetarian option: To make this recipe vegetarian, substitute 1 lb. (450 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes, for the chicken.
A different cut: You can substitute 1 lb. (450 g) of boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips, for the tenders.
Recipe Developed for TasteBuds
Exclusive Seasonings and New Recipes Delivered Every MonthShop >