Corn-Crusted Tofu with Black Bean Salad
Adding our Chipotle Rub to finely chopped corn flake cereal is a quick and easy way to give tofu a punch of flavor.
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes
- 1-2 limes
- 1 can (15 oz/450 mL) unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Chipotle Rub, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 1 pkg (14 oz or 397 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry (see Cook’s Tip)
- 2 cups (500 mL) corn flake cereal
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pasteurized refrigerated egg product
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 medium firm, ripe avocado
- Lime wedges and additional coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
For salad, dice onion using Chef’s Knife. Coarsely chop cilantro and cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarters. Juice limes to measure 2 tbsp (30 mL). Combine onion, cilantro, tomatoes, lime juice, beans, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rub and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the salt in Classic Batter Bowl. Mix gently and set aside.
Slice tofu crosswise into eight slices. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt; set aside. Combine cereal and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) rub in Manual Food Processor; cover and pump handle until finely chopped. Place flour in first Coating Tray. Pour egg product into second tray. Place cereal crumb mixture into third tray. Lightly dredge each tofu slice in flour, shaking off excess; dip into egg product and then into crumb mixture, coating evenly.
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in (10-in./24-cm) Skillet over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Place half of the tofu slices into Skillet. Cook 1 minute or until golden brown. Turn tofu over and cook 1 minute or until golden brown. Remove tofu from Skillet; repeat with remaining oil and tofu slices. Peel and remove pit from avocado; dice avocado and gently stir into salad. Serve tofu with salad. Garnish with lime wedges and additional cilantro, if desired.
- 4 servings of 2 slices tofu
- 4 servings of 3/4 cup/175 mL salad
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 340, Total Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 700 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 16 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 1 low-fat meat, 3 fat (2 carb)
Make sure to purchase extra-firm tofu for this recipe. It will hold together better during cooking than firm or silken tofu.