Thai-Style Halibut Soup
Ingredients such as coconut milk and red curry paste create a pleasing combination of Thai flavors.
- 1 carton (32 oz or 900 mL) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz or 398 mL) lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peeled and finely grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 g) whole baby corn
- 1 can (15 oz or 425 g) straw mushrooms
- 6 halibut fillets (4 oz/125 g each), 1 in. (2.5 cm) thick
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) snipped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups (750 mL) hot cooked rice
Combine broth, coconut milk, lime juice and gingerroot in (4-qt./4-L) Casserole. Whisk in curry paste using Silicone Sauce Whisk. Drain corn and mushrooms; add to Casserole and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat 5 minutes.
Add halibut fillets to soup; cover and simmer 6 minutes or until halibut is opaque throughout. Remove soup from heat; stir in cilantro.
- 6 servings of 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 350, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Protein 30 g, Sodium 780 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 3 low-fat meat (2 1/2 carb)
Thai red curry paste is characteristic of this Asian cuisine. It is available in Asian specialty markets or the ethnic food section of many supermarkets.