Peanut-Crusted Pork Satay
Succulent pork tenderloin readily absorbs the savory Thai-inspired marinade and grills quickly on skewers.
- Marinade and Sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 1/4 lbs/625 g)
- 12 (7-in./18-cm) bamboo skewers, soaked (see Cook's Tip)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- Bibb lettuce leaves, julienne-cut carrot and sliced radishes for Lettuce Wraps (optional, see Cook's Tip)
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. For marinade, whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, brown sugar, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, cayenne pepper and cilantro in Small Batter Bowl. Pour 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the marinade into Easy Read Measuring Cup. Add peanut butter and water; whisk well and set aside for serving as sauce. Add remaining marinade to Classic Batter Bowl.
For pork, trim silver skin from pork. Slice pork lengthwise into two strips. Thinly slice strips crosswise; place into Classic Batter Bowl. Turn pork to coat; cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. Evenly thread pork onto skewers. Grill skewers 5-6 minutes or until grill marks appear, outside of pork is deep brown and pork is barely pink in center, turning once with BBQ Tongs. Remove from grill. Press one side of skewers into peanuts and serve with peanut sauce as lettuce wraps, if desired.
- 4 servings of 3 skewers and 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) sauce
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 370, Total Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Carbohydrate 12 g, Protein 36 g, Sodium 1030 mg, Fiber 1 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 fruit, 5 low-fat meat, 1 fat (1 carb)
Use the Coating Trays to coat one side of the skewers with peanuts.
Soak skewers in water for 2 hours or overnight to prevent burning.
For Lettuce Wraps, prepare pork as directed. Remove lettuce leaves from 2 heads bibb lettuce. Cut 1 peeled medium carrot into julienne strips with Julienne Peeler and thinly slice 1/4 lb (125 g) radishes with Ultimate Mandoline. Serve pork, carrot and radishes on lettuce leaves.
If desired, boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be substituted for the pork tenderloin. Cut into strips and thread onto skewers. Grill until chicken is no longer pink in center.