This New Orleans classic has the usual meats and cheeses, and the bread is always round. But the key ingredient - olive salad - makes the difference.
- Olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix (including yeast packet)
- 1 cup hot water (120°-130°F)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3 tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive Salad
- 2/3 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 2/3 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Sandwich Fillings
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli meat such as hard salami, turkey or ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced cheese such as provolone, Swiss or mozzarella
For bread, spray Deep Dish Baker with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine hot roll mix and yeast. Using Mix ‘N Scraper®, stir in hot water, butter and egg until dough pulls away from side of bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough 5 minutes until smooth. Cover dough with Batter Bowl; let rest 5 minutes. Using lightly floured Baker’s Roller, evenly roll out dough in Baker. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in a warm place (80-85°F) for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Uncover dough and lightly spray with olive oil. Press 1 garlic clove over dough using Garlic Press; spread evenly with Skinny Scraper. Using Rotary Grater, grate Parmesan cheese over dough. Bake 15-20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove bread from Baker to Stackable Cooling Rack.
To assemble sandwich, cut bread in half horizontally using Bread Knife. Spread 1 cup of the olive salad over bottom half of bread. Cover with overlapping slices of meat and cheese; top with remaining olive salad. Cover with top half of bread. Cut into wedges.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 450, Fat 22g, Sodium 1750 mg, Dietary Fiber 4 g
This sandwich is also delicious served warm. Place assembled sandwich on Rectangle Stone in Oven-To-Table Rack; cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through.