Cajun Chicken Salad
Grilled chicken and toasted pecans get a Cajun kick in this lively main course salad.
- Spiced Pecans
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun Herb Seasoning Mix
- 1 small yellow summer squash, scored, sliced and cut in half
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, cut into rings and quartered
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves
- 1 package (10 ounces) mixed salad greens with romaine and leaf lettuce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4-6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons Cajun Herb Seasoning Mix
- 3/4 cup ranch salad dressing
- Bountiful Bread Bowl (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. For spiced pecans, toss pecans with oil in Small Batter Bowl. Sprinkle with combined sugar and seasoning mix; toss until coated. Spread pecans in single layer over bottom of Small Bar Pan. Bake 10 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove from oven; cool pecans in bar pan.
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium coals. Meanwhile, for salad, score summer squash lengthwise using Zester/Scorer. Slice squash using Ultimate Mandoline fitted with v-shaped blade; cut slices in half. Cut bell pepper into rings; cut rings into quarters. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Toss vegetables with greens; refrigerate until ready to serve.
Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Brush with oil using Chef's Silicone Basting Brush. Rub with seasoning mix. Place chicken on grid of grill. Grill, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center, turning occasionally using BBQ Tongs.
Remove chicken from grill. Cut chicken crosswise into slices on Cutting Board using Carving Set. Arrange chicken over salad on Oval Platter. Sprinkle with spiced pecans. Serve salad using Bamboo Salad Tongs; drizzle with dressing.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 520, Total Fat 39 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Protein 32 g, Sodium 570 mg, Fiber 5 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 4 meat, 3 1/2 fat (1 carb)
The chicken can also be prepared using the Grill Pan. Heat pan over medium heat 5 minutes. Prepare chicken as directed in Step 3. Place chicken in pan. Cook 5-7 minutes; turn using Chef's Tongs. Continue cooking 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.