Pear-Pecan Crunch Cake
This pecan-crusted cake is crowned with spiced whipped cream and caramelized pears for an upscale, yet homey dessert.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Double-Strength Vanilla
- 1 pear, peeled and finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Spiced Whipped Cream and Caramelized Pears (optional, see Cook's Tip))
- Cinnamon and additional orange zest (optional)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut a circle of Parchment Paper to fit bottom of Nonstick Cake Pan. Grease bottom of pan; line with Parchment Paper and set aside. In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Combine sugars, egg and vanilla in Classic Batter Bowl; mix on low speed of electric mixer 2 minutes, occasionally scraping sides of bowl. Add flour mixture; mix just until combined. Fold in pear, 1/2 cup of the pecans and zest (do not overmix).
Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly; top with remaining pecans. Bake 31-33 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes. Invert cake onto Stackable Cooling Rack; remove Parchment Paper. Invert cake onto serving plate.
- If desired, spread Spiced Whipped Cream over center of cake; surround with Caramelized Pears. Garnish with cinnamon and additional orange zest, if desired.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 270, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 140 mg, Fiber 2 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 3 fat (2 carb)
Spiced Whipped Cream: In chilled bowl, beat 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream with Stainless/Silicone Sauce Whisk until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Caramelized Pears: Peel and cut three pears into wedges. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in (12-in.) Skillet over medium-low heat. Add pear wedges; sauté 8-10 minutes or until deep golden brown. Toss with 2 tablespoons brown sugar until dissolved.