Spinach Egg Bake
Part spinach dip, part shakshuka—this creamy dish is perfect for a casual brunch or hearty breakfast. And it’s less than $3 per serving!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups (500 mL) firmly packed spinach leaves
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- 4 oz. (125 g) cream cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 5 English muffins
- Optional toppings: Finely grated Parmesan cheese, chopped basil, sliced spinach
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Heat the oil in the 10" (25‑cm) Nonstick Fry Pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir for 4–5 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and spinach and stir. Cook for another 2–3 minutes, or until the spinach has cooked down completely.
- Stir in the milk and cream cheese and continue stirring until smooth. Bring to a low boil.
- Turn off the heat. Make 5 shallow imprints in the creamy mixture. Crack one egg into each well. Carefully transfer to the oven. Bake for 9–11 minutes, or until the egg whites have set but the yolks are still runny. (Cook longer if you prefer firmer yolks.)
- While the eggs are cooking, toast your English muffins.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Let it stand for 2 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, chopped basil, and sliced spinach, if you’d like. Serve with or on top of the English muffins.
- 5 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 350, Total Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 215 mg, Sodium 850 mg, Carbohydrate 31 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 4 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 15 g
Use the base to serve as a great dip! Just omit the eggs, stir in some chopped artichokes and top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve bubbly!
Make the sauce ahead of time! When you’re ready, heat it up in the pan, top with the eggs and follow the remaining directions.
Add sliced mushrooms or shredded chicken to make it even more hearty.