Pina Colada Pancakes
Add a tropical twist to breakfast! These pancakes have classic pineapple upside-down cake flavor that your whole family will love.
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) powdered sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) coconut extract (see cook’s tip)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) Pancake & Waffle Mix, or any pancake mix
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 6 maraschino cherries, halved
- ¼ cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- Optional: Maple syrup and coconut flakes for serving
Combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and coconut extract in a medium mixing bowl. Whip the cream with an electric mixer on high speed until peaks form, about 3–4 minutes; set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in the Cast Iron Sizzle Skillet over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine the pancake mix, milk, crushed pineapple, and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in a large mixing bowl. If your pancake mix calls for butter or oil, add the recommended amount for 1 cup (250 mL) of dry batter. Fold the mixture until it’s just moistened.
- Pour ¼ cup (60 mL) of the batter onto the skillet for each pancake. Top each with half a cherry, cut-side up, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook for 3–4 minutes, or until bubbles appear and the holes remain. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the pancakes bounce back when lightly pressed.
- Remove the pancakes. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil to the skillet and repeat step 4 until all the batter is gone.
- Top with the coconut whipped cream. Add coconut flakes and maple syrup, if you’d like.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (3 per serving): Calories 590, Total Fat 33 g, Saturated Fat 16 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Sodium 450 mg, Carbohydrate 66 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 37 g (includes 26 g added sugar), Protein 8 g
Not a fan of coconut flavor? Swap the coconut extract for vanilla or almond extract. Or just use plain whipped cream!
If you have leftover pineapple, you can use it to top the finished pancakes. Yum!
To cook on the grill, preheat the grill and Cast Iron Sizzle Skillet over low heat. Prepare as directed in steps 1–3. Watch the pancakes closely, as they may brown more quickly on the grill.