Air Fryer Onion Petals
These crispy air-fried onions are the perfect treat. And you don’t have to go to the outback to get them!
- Onion Petals
- 2 small yellow onions
- ½ cup (125 mL) flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) seasoning salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) breadcrumbs
- Oil for spritzing
- ¼ cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) barbecue sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) smoked paprika or paprika
- Optional: Chopped parsley
- Peel the onions. Trim the top off the onions, but keep the root intact.
- Place one onion, cut-side down, onto the Veggie Wedger and line up the middle of the wedger over the root, so the onion remains in 6 intact pieces; push down to slice. Repeat with the second onion.
- Combine the flour and seasoning salt in a shallow bowl. Whisk the eggs in another shallow small bowl and add the breadcrumbs to a third shallow bowl.
- Carefully spread the onion “petals” and dip them into the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour, then dip into the eggs, again separating the petals, and finally into the breadcrumbs.
Spray the trays of the Deluxe Air Fryer with oil. Place the onion wedges onto the trays and place on the top and middle racks. Cook on AIR FRY for 20 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve the onion petals with the sauce and garnish with chopped parsley, if you’d like.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 290, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 100 mg, Sodium 760 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 7 g (includes 2 g added sugar), Protein 8 g
Cut and bread your onions up to 4 hours ahead of time. When you’re ready, just pick up at step 5.
These onion petals can add some extra crunch and flavor to burgers. Use the sauce as a burger spread, then top with one or two pieces of the crispy onions.