White Bean, Kale & Sausage Stew
This stew is hearty and healthy. Perfect for chilly evenings when you want something satisfying, but don't have time (or energy!) to spare.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz. (250 g) bulk hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 8 oz. (250 g) carrots, finely chopped (about 2 carrots)
- 1 medium onion or 1 tsp (5 mL) Three Onion Rub
- 1 pkg (10.5 oz. or 255 g) cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 bunch kale (about 5 oz./150 g), torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups (1 L) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (15 oz. or 540 mL) Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 oz. (30 g) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (½ cup/125 mL), plus extra for serving
Heat ½ tbsp (7 mL) of the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3–5 minutes or until shimmering. Add the sausage. Cook for 6–8 minutes, breaking into crumbles. When the sausage is no longer pink, drain and remove from the pot.
Add the remaining oil, carrots, onion (or Three Onion Rub), tomatoes, garlic, and oregano. Heat until the tomatoes begin to burst, about 4–6 minutes.
Add the sausage, stock, beans, and kale to the Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, uncovered, for 5–10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Top with additional Parmesan and serve.
- 6 servings