Bananas Foster Tart
Based on the famous New Orleans creation of sautéed bananas in rum sauce, this rich tart spells bliss.
- 13 pecan shortbread cookies, very finely crushed (2 cups/500 mL crumbs)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter (½ stick), melted
- Filling and Sauce
- 4 medium bananas
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dark rum, divided
- ½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter (½ stick)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). For the crust, in a medium bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, flour, brown sugar and butter; mix well. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and up sides of the Tart Pan with Lid. Bake 10-11 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove it from the oven, let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cut bananas diagonally into ¼-inch-thick (6-mm) slices. Arrange bananas in an overlapping circular pattern over cooled crust. Brush bananas with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rum.
- In a 2-qt. (1.9-L) Nonstick Sauce Pan , combine brown sugar, cream and butter; cook and stir with a Sauce Whisk over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2-3 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat and cool 30 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) rum and cinnamon.
- Reserve ½ cup (125 mL) of the sauce for serving. Drizzle remaining sauce over bananas. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired. Heat reserved sauce in microwave on HIGH 15 seconds; stir and drizzle over ice cream.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 300, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 125 mg, Fiber 1 g
Spread crust mixture firmly into pan using your fingertips, being sure not to press crumbs in too thin of a layer around the inner rim of the pan. Otherwise, the crust becomes too fragile at that area and is prone to breaking.
For best flavor and texture, choose bananas at their peak ripeness for this recipe.