Chocolate-Cherry Skillet Cake
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 oz or 520 mL) cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- 1 pkg (18.25 oz or 510 g) devil's food cake mix
- 1 jar (11.75 oz or 250 mL) chocolate ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted sliced almonds
- Vanilla frozen yogurt or thawed, frozen fat-free whipped topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly spray (12-in./30-cm) Skillet with oil. Whisk egg whites in large bowl; add pie filling, water and almond extract. Add cake mix; mix until well blended. Pour batter into Skillet, spreading evenly.
Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Carefully remove from oven using Oven Mitts; cool 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake and carefully invert cake onto large, heat-safe serving plate.
Stir ice cream topping until smooth; carefully spread evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle almonds evenly around top edge of cake. Cut into wedges. Serve warm with frozen yogurt or whipped topping, if desired.
16 servings of excluding optional ingredients
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 260, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 49 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 330 mg, Fiber 2 g
To toast almonds, spread almonds in a single layer over bottom of Small Bar Pan. Bake at 350°F (180°C) 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool completely.