Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Citrus-Curry Dressing
The peppery bite of arugula leaves pairs deliciously with tender sweet potatoes, crisp apple chunks and the distinctive curry dressing.
- Spiced Walnuts (optional, see Cook's Tip)
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 medium Red Delicious apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced celery
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) thinly sliced green onions with tops
- 1 package (5 oz/150 g) fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared stone-ground Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
If desired, prepare Spiced Walnuts and set aside. For salad, preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Cut potatoes crosswise into 1/2-in. (1 cm) slices; cut slices into quarters. Brush Large Bar Pan with oil using Chef's Silicone Basting Brush. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on bar pan; season with salt and black pepper. Bake 22-24 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to caramelize, stirring halfway through baking. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Place potatoes in Stainless (4-qt./4 L) Mixing Bowl. Add apple, celery and green onions. Gently wash arugula in Salad & Berry Spinner; spin dry.
For dressing, whisk ingredients in Small Batter Bowl until well blended. Drizzle 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the dressing over potato mixture; toss gently to coat.
For each serving, place arugula on serving plate; drizzle with some of the remaining dressing. Mound potato mixture over arugula. Sprinkle with Spiced Walnuts, if desired.
- 6 servings of 1 1/2 cups/375 mL
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 190, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 250 mg, Fiber 6 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat (1 carb)
To make Spiced Walnuts, preheat oven to 350°F(180°C). Line Small Bar Pan with Parchment Paper. Whisk 1 egg white in Small Batter Bowl until frothy. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) walnut halves, tossing to coat. Arrange walnuts in a single layer over parchment. Combine 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Cinnamon Plus® Spice Blend or Korintje Cinnamon; sprinkle over walnuts. Bake 18-20 minutes or until nuts begin to brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely.