Smashed Potato Soup
This is comfort food at its best! Refrigerated mashed potatoes help to get a satisfying dinner on the table in no time.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 package (1 pound, 4 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) 99% fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Optional toppings: sliced green onions, reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese and crisply cooked, crumbled turkey bacon
Coarsely chop carrot and celery using Food Chopper. Place mashed potatoes in (3-qt.) Saucepan. Gradually add broth and milk, whisking until mixture is smooth using Silicone Sauce Whisk. Stir in carrot, celery, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and parsley. Ladle soup into bowls; top with desired toppings.
- 5 cups
4 servings of 1 1/4 cups
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 180 (29% from fat), Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 850 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 1/2 fat (2 carb)
Refrigerated mashed potatoes can be found in the refrigerated dairy case in most supermarkets. You can also substitute 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes for the refrigerated mashed potatoes.
Mashed potatoes made with instant mashed potatoes can be substituted for refrigerated mashed potatoes. Prepare 6 servings (about 3 cups) according to package directions for reduced-fat mashed potatoes.