Fabulous Fajita Pizza (Gluten-Free)
Southwest flavors spice up this pizza made with a homemade gluten-free crust!
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) warm water
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 pkg (16 oz) Bob’s Red Mill® Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Whole Grain Mix (1½ cups/375 mL)
- 1 medium each green and red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz (250 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Tostitos® All Natural Chunky Salsa
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Colby & Monterey Jack cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro, snipped
For crust, combine water and yeast in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; let stand 2 minutes. Using electric hand mixer on medium speed, beat in egg and oil until blended. Add pizza crust mix and blend until combined. Cover dough with plastic wrap; let stand 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450ºF (230ºC). Brush Large Round Stone with Handles with vegetable oil. Place dough on stone; using wet hands, spread dough to within 1 in. (2.5 cm) of edge of stone, creating a lip around the edge of the dough. Bake 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Meanwhile, for topping, cut bell peppers into ½-inch-thick (1-cm) strips. Cut onion into ½-inch-thick (1-cm) wedges. Cut chicken crosswise into thin strips.
Heat half of the oil in 11- or 12-in. (28- or 30-cm) Skillet (do not use stainless cookware) over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink; remove from Skillet.
Add remaining oil, bell peppers, onion, pressed garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper to Skillet. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Remove Skillet from heat; stir in chicken and salsa.
Remove stone from oven. Immediately sprinkle half of the cheese over crust. Top with chicken mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cilantro. Cut into 8 slices.
- 8 servings of 1 slice
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 290, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 600 mg, Carbohydrate 28 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 16 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 Starch, 1 1/2 Lean Meat, 1 Fat (2 Carb)