Cool Gazpacho with Watermelon
Fresh watermelon adds a subtle sweetness to this refreshing chilled Spanish soup.
- 8 slices (1 oz/30 g each) whole grain baguette, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 1 seedless cucumber, divided
- 1 medium red onion, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and seeded, divided
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced seedless watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained (about 1 3/4 cups/425 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium vegetable juice, chilled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Brush six of the bread slices with oil using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the black pepper. Arrange bread on Rectangle Stone; bake 12-14 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove baking stone from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack.
Meanwhile, cut cucumber, onion and jalapeño in half using Santoku Knife; set half of each aside. Finely chop plum tomatoes, remaining cucumber, onion and jalapeño; place in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl. Gently stir in watermelon and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cilantro. Set aside 1 cup (250 mL) of the plum tomato mixture in (2-cup/500-mL) Prep Bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cut bell pepper, reserved cucumber and onion into quarters; place into blender container. Add remaining two slices bread, reserved jalapeño, canned tomatoes, vegetable juice, vinegar, pressed garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper and salt to blender; cover and blend until smooth. Pour blended mixture into mixing bowl containing plum tomato mixture; add remaining cilantro and stir gently. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled, stirring occasionally.
To serve, divide gazpacho evenly among serving bowls. Top with reserved plum tomato mixture and toasted bread.
- 6 servings of 1 1/3 cups gazpacho with 1 slice of bread
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 180, Calories from Fat 30, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 250 mg, Total Carbohydrate 33 g, Fiber 6 g, Sugars 14 g, Protien 8 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (1 1/2 carb)