Barbecue Baked Beans
No backyard barbecue is complete without these simple, well-seasoned baked beans. They’ll stay warm and satisfying throughout any get-together!
- ½ lb. (250 g) bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- ½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) hot sauce (optional)
- 4 cans (15.5 oz or 398 mL each) pork and beans in tomato sauce, undrained
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. or 398 mL each) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon to paper towel lined plate and reserve about 2 tbsp (30 mL) of drippings in the pan.
- Cook the onion in the drippings over medium heat for 3–4 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the brown sugar and vinegar to the onion. Cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly. Add the ketchup, hot sauce, if using, and beans to the pan. Add the reserved bacon. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook on medium-low for about 20 minutes to thicken slightly.
- To serve, place the beans in the On-the-Go 2-qt. (1.9-L) Serving Bowl .
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 170, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 650 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 17 g (includes 14 g added sugar), Protein 10 g