Curry-Scented Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy mascarpone cheese adds body and richness to this delicately spiced soup.
- 1 butternut squash, 2 1/2 lbs (1.1 kg) (6 cups/1.5 L cubed)
- 2 large sweet apples such as Fuji or Honeycrisp
- 3 medium onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) curry powder
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 container (8 oz/250 g) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- Sour cream and snipped fresh chives (optional)
Using Serrated Peeler, peel squash and apples; cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) cubes and dice onions.
Melt butter in All-Purpose Pot over medium-low heat. Add onions; cook 5-6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add squash, apples, brown sugar and curry powder. Cook and stir 1 minute or until curry powder is fragrant. Add stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook 24-26 minutes or until squash is very soft. Remove from heat.
Carefully ladle about one-third of the squash mixture into blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour blended soup into Stainless (6-qt./6-L) Mixing Bowl. Repeat two times with remaining squash mixture.
Return soup to Stockpot and whisk in mascarpone and salt until mascarpone is completely incorporated. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and remove from heat. Garnish each serving with sour cream and chives, if desired.
- 8 servings of (1½ cups/375 mL) Per Serving
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 310, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Protein 8 g, Sodium 950 mg, Fiber 5 g
The serrated blade of the Serrated Peeler makes peeling this squash simple. Using long strokes, peel away several layers per area until you see the bright orange flesh.