Chicken, Green Bean & Apple Salad
This crisp, cold salad is perfect for a hot summer day, but its so delicious, you're sure to enjoy it in any season!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz/125 g each)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) plus 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) light brown sugar
- 8 oz (250 g) fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 medium jicama (about 10 oz/300 g)
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- 3 cups (750 mL) mixed greens salad blend
- Additional coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
Heat Grill Pan over medium heat 5 minutes. Spray with canola oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Sprinkle chicken with 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) of the salt and black pepper. Place chicken into pan and top with Grill Press. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and grill marks appear. Place chicken on a plate and refrigerate until ready to use.
Fill Classic Batter Bowl halfway with ice water; set aside. Place green beans and 1/4 cup (50 mL) water into Large Micro-Cooker®. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender; drain and immediately plunge into ice water. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and pat dry with paper towels. Meanwhile, peel jicama using Serrated Peeler. Slice jicama using Ultimate Mandoline fitted with adjustable slicing blade on thick setting. Cut slices into strips using Santoku Knife. Core and thinly slice apple.
Remove chicken from refrigerator; slice crosswise into strips. Combine chicken, dressing, beans, jicama and apple in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; toss gently. Serve salad with mixed greens and garnish with additional black pepper, if desired.
- 6 servings of 1 cup salad
- 6 servings of 1/2 cup greens
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 120, Calories from Fat 30, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 260 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 9 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 low-fat meat (1/2 carb)
Tarragon is a leafy herb with an assertive anise flavor. It has pointed dark leaves and is used in French cooking.