This colorful, vibrant and refreshing slaw will make any picnic plate a standout.
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cored and shredded (2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 large carrots, cut into julienne strips (1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips (1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips (1 cup/250 mL)
- 2 green onions, tops only, cut into thin strips (1/2 cup/125 mL)
For dressing, zest orange using Zester/Scorer to measure 1 teaspoon (5 mL) zest. Juice orange with Juicer to measure 2 tablespoons (30 mL) juice. Place zest, juice, vinegar, oil, honey, cilantro and salt in Measure, Mix 'N Pour®. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
For slaw, cut cabbage half into 2 equal portions. Using Ultimate Mandoline fitted with v-shaped blade, carefully slice cabbage into thin shreds. Peel carrots and cut into julienne strips using Julienne Peeler. Cut bell peppers into thin strips using Chef's Knife. Cut off white parts of green onions and reserve for another use. Slice green onion tops into thin, short strips. Place vegetables in large Bamboo Fiber Mixing Bowl.
When ready to serve, pour dressing over slaw; toss using Bamboo Salad Tongs. Serve immediately.
- 8 servings of 3/4 cup
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 60, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 9 g, Protein less than 1 g, Sodium 150 mg, Fiber 1 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch (1 carb)
The dressing and the vegetables for this slaw can be prepared and refrigerated separately up to several hours in advance. To prevent the colorful vegetables from bleeding, do not add the dressing until just before you are ready to serve the salad.
To remove the core from a whole head of cabbage, cut cabbage in half. Using Chef's Knife, carefully cut on either side of the core, making a v-shaped wedge cut. Remove the core.