Artichoke Zucchini Frittata
This simple frittata is the perfect brunch dish. It comes together easily and it always impresses.
- Canola oil for spraying pan
- 1 large zucchini
- 6 oz (170 g) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 8 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 2 jars (7.5 oz/212 g each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) snipped fresh basil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (1 oz/28 g) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (optional, see below)
Place the cream cheese in the 4-qt. (4-L) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl; whisk until smooth using a Stainless Steel Whisk. Whisk in the eggs, four at a time, until combined. Stir in the zucchini, artichokes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the basil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Pour the egg mixture into the baker. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set in the center. Remove from the oven; sprinkle with cheese and the remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of basil. Cut the frittata into 8 squares and serve with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, if desired.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 190, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 205 mg, Sodium 450 mg, Carbohydrate 6 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 11 g
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
In the in Manual Food Processor, combine 1 jar (12 oz or 370 mL) of roasted red bell peppers, (drained), 2 tbsp (30 mL) of water, 1½ tbsp (22 mL) of tomato paste, and 1½ tsp (7 mL) of balsamic vinegar until almost smooth. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of olive oil in a (1.5-qt.(1.4 L) saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of chopped onion to the pan; cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bell pepper mixture to the pan; cook over low heat until hot.