Zucchini Noodles With Crushed Tomato Sauce
This is a new spin on the classic veggie noodles with tomato sauce. Stir fresh spiralized zucchini into this homemade sauce that is a more economical and healthier option than store bought!
- Zucchini Noodles
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (35 mL) olive oil, divided
- 5 cups (1.25 L) zucchini noodles (see cook's tips)
- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can (28 oz./794 g) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 oz. (60 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (½ cup/125 mL), plus additional for topping (optional)
- Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil in 12" (30-cm) Brilliance Nonstick Weeknight Skillet over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the zucchini; and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat. Remove the zucchini; drain well and press down with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture; set aside.
- For the sauce, grate the carrot with the Adjustable Double Grater using the fine grate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the garlic, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes: cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the carrot, tomatoes with their juices, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat for 12-14 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini noodles and cheese to the skillet and toss to coat. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Top with additional cheese, if you'd like.
- 4 servings of 1½ cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 170, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 590 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 6 g, Sugars 11 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 5 g
You can make zucchini noodles by using 5 medium zucchinis, with the ends trimmed and cut into halves or thirds. Spiralize with the fettucine blade on the Veggie Spiralizer.
Add cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu for an easy weeknight meal.