Kale Lentil Sausage Stew
This stew is an impressive dish to serve to friends and family—and impressively easy to make.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb (450 g) carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 containers (10.5 oz/284 g) cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 8 cups (2 L) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 10 cups (2.4 L) loosely packed fresh kale leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz. (60 g) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup/250 mL)
Heat ½ tbsp (7 mL) of the oil in the 8-qt. (7.6-L) Brilliance Nonstick Stock Pot over medium heat for 2–3 minutes.
Add the sausage. Cook over medium heat for 6–8 minutes, breaking the sausage into crumbles. When the sausage is no longer pink, drain and remove from the pot.
Add the remaining oil, carrots, onion, tomatoes, garlic, and oregano. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4–5 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to burst.
Add the sausage, stock, and lentils to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the kale and vinegar. Let it stand, uncovered, for 4–5 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- 12 servings of (1⅓ cups/325 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 430, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 800 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 7 g (includes 1 g added sugars), Protein 27 g