Mexican Sweet Potato Rice
Our take on sweet potato “rice” involves spiralizing the sweet potatoes on the thin spaghetti blade, and then chopping them into small pieces the size of rice! What a healthy alternative to normal rice!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned corn, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
Spiralize the sweet potatoes with the spaghetti blade on the Veggie Spiralizer.
Place the potatoes on a cutting board. Working in batches, coarsely chop the sweet potatoes with a chef’s knife until the size of rice (see Cook's Tip).
Heat the oil in 12” (30 cm) Executive Nonstick Skillet over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until shimmering. Add the potatoes, beans, corn, broth, cilantro, juice and salt; cook 4-5 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Just before serving, top with the chopped tomato.
- 6 servings of 3/4 cup/175 mL