Mexican Quinoa Bowl
This healthy, gluten-free recipe is a one-pot wonder that comes together in a snap! Skip the sour cream and it becomes a great vegan option also.
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded
- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and cut into 3” (7.5-cm) pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can (15 oz/425 g) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz/411 g) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30 mL) Southwestern Seasoning Mix
- ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- Diced avocado, sour cream and lime wedges (optional)
- Combine the quinoa and broth in the Deep Covered Baker. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bell pepper into quarters and the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using the Quick Slice, cut the bell pepper (skin-side up) into strips. Slice the zucchini halves crosswise.
- Remove the baker from the microwave. Stir in the vegetables, garlic pressed with the Garlic Press, beans, tomatoes with juice, and rub.
- Microwave, covered, for 8–10 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid.
- Remove the baker from the microwave and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Snip cilantro in a small bowl with the Professional Shears.
- To serve, sprinkle the quinoa with cilantro and top each serving with avocado and sour cream, if desired.
- 5 servings of 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 230, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 660 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 9 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 11 g
To make this recipe on the stovetop, increase vegetable broth to 1½ cups (375 mL). Combine the quinoa and broth in Rockcrok® Dutch Oven and cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Continue as directed in steps 2 and 3. In step 4, bring to a simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed the liquid. Let it stand 5 minutes. Continue as directed.