Zesty Meatball Chili
This family-pleasing chili uses chili-cheese flavored corn chips to boost flavor.
- 2 cans (14.5 oz or 398 mL each) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) chili-cheese flavored corn chips (1 cup/250 mL finely crushed), divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) plus 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin, divided
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 oz or 398 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 lb (450 g) 85% lean ground beef
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Chop tomatoes in Stainless (2-qt./2-L) Mixing Bowl using Salad Chopper; set aside. Finely chop onion using Food Chopper. Dice bell pepper using Santoku Knife. Place chips into large resealable plastic bag; finely crush using Baker's Roller® and set aside.
Place oil, onion and bell pepper in (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole. Cook over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until pepper is tender, stirring occasionally. Add two of the pressed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the chili powder and 2 tsp (10 mL) of the cumin. Cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, water and half of the crushed chips to Casserole. Bring to a gentle simmer; reduce heat to low and cook 18-22 minutes or until chili is thickened, stirring often.
Meanwhile, line Large Sheet Pan with Parchment Paper. Combine egg, milk and salt in Classic Batter Bowl. Add remaining crushed chips, garlic, chili powder and cumin; mix well. Add beef and mix just until incorporated. Scoop beef mixture onto prepared pan using Small Scoop; gently roll into balls. Bake 8-9 minutes or until internal temperature of meatballs reaches 150°F (65°C). Remove from oven.
Gently stir meatballs into chili; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until meatballs are tender. Serve chili with cheddar cheese, if desired.
- 11 1/2 cups (2.7 L)
8 servings of 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 340, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 860 mg, Fiber 7 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat (2 carb)
When forming meatballs, spray the Small Scoop with nonstick cooking spray to help the meatball mixture release easily.
If desired, the meatballs can be prepared up to one day in advance. Assemble meatballs as directed in Step 3 but do not cook them. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.