Canadian Hawaiian Pizza
Hawaiian pizza originated in Canada back in 1962, when a pizza shop owner decided to add some pineapple to his pizzas. Folks can argue online all they want about whether or not pineapple belongs on pizza. We say it does and we'll prove it with this fantastic Hawaiian pizza recipe sent to us by our friend Jennifer at Seasons & Suppers. #TeamPineapple
- 1 lb. (450 g) pizza dough, store-bought or your favourite homemade
- 1 cup (250 mL) pizza sauce, store-bought or your favourite homemade
- 4 oz. (125 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup/250 mL)
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ whole fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, sliced and roasted (see cook's tip)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 6 slices prosciutto
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1½ cups (375 mL) baby arugula, for topping after baking
When ready to cook your pizza, place pizza stone in cold oven, then turn on/preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
Stretch pizza dough into a 14 to 16-inch (35 to 40-cm) circle. Spread the top of the dough with pizza sauce, leaving the outside edge uncovered by ½ inch (1.25 cm) or so.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella evenly over-top. Scatter sliced red onion and the roasted pineapple chunks over-top. Lay a piece of prosciutto out flat. Starting with the short end, roll up the prosciutto loosely, into a rough rose-shape and place on top of pizza. Scatter goat cheese over-top.
Use a pizza peel to transfer the prepared pizza to the hot pizza stone in the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is well cooked and brown in spots. Remove pizza from oven and top with fresh arugula. Slice and enjoy!
Roast the pineapple (do ahead): Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Prepare the pineapple by slicing away the outside of the pineapple. Cut into quarters and slice away the core. Cut into ¾-inch (1.25-cm) slices. Place onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Roast in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into chunks.
A Community Kitchen Recipe
Recipes and photos created by friends of Pampered Chef