Quick Cooker Thai Coconut Soup
Ginger and lime juice add just the right amount of tanginess to our pressure cooker version of tom kha gai which is a traditional Thai coconut chicken soup.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 8 oz. (250 g) baby bella mushrooms, washed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 2" (5-cm) piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 1–1½ lbs. (450–700 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ cups (375 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 cans (14–15 oz./13.6 oz/ or 398 mL each) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime
- Optional: Cilantro and jalapeño for garnish
Set the Quick Cooker to SEAR and press START. Heat the oil in the inner pot for 3 minutes.
Slice the mushrooms with the Quick Slice. Add the mushrooms and salt to the inner pot. Saute for 6–8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are well browned and most of the liquid has cooked out.
Cut the top off the bell pepper. Remove the seeds and veins. Cut the pepper and onion into chunks. Coarsely chop the pepper and onion in the Manual Food Processor. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and veins, and cut it into chunks. Slice the ginger into thin slices. Finely chop the jalapeño and ginger in the Manual Food Processor. Transfer the jalapeño mixture and vegetables to the inner pot and saute for 3–4 minutes, or until softened. Press CANCEL.
- Add the chicken, broth, and soy sauce to the inner pot. Lock the lid and select the SOUP/STOCK setting. Adjust the time to 7 minutes and press START.
Pour the coconut milk into a medium bowl; whisk until smooth.
When the timer is up, press CANCEL. Press the steam-release button to manually release the pressure. Remove the chicken to a bowl* and chop with the Salad Chopper. Add chicken back to the inner pot.
To temper the coconut milk, add ¼ cup (60 mL) of the hot broth at a time to the coconut milk until it is warm. Stir the coconut milk into the pot. Juice the lime with the Citrus Press into the inner pot and stir well. Garnish with cilantro and jalapeño, if desired.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 430, Total Fat 34 g, Saturated Fat 26 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Sodium 640 mg, Carbohydrate 9 g, Fiber 1 g, Total Sugars 2 g (includes 0 g added sugars), Protein 24 g
Make sure to cook the mushrooms long enough for most of the water to cook out. This will ensure that the soup becomes rich and creamy.
*The stainless steel inner pot will be hot during and after cooking. Use a long-handled utensil when stirring and removing food.