Loaded Baked Potato Chowder
Thick and satisfying, there's nothing like a hearty chowder to warm up the family.
- 3 large baking potatoes (about 2½ lbs./1.1 kg) sliced in half lengthwise
- 3½ cups (875 mL) milk, divided
- 4 oz. (125 g) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 4 oz. (125 g) sharp cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup/250 mL)
- 2-3 green onions with tops (¼ cup/60 mL sliced)
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- Optional toppings: chopped cooked bacon, sour cream, or steamed broccoli florets
- Place the potatoes into the Deep Covered Baker. Pour ½ cup (125 mL) of the milk over the potatoes. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 11 minutes. Remove the baker from the microwave. Move the potatoes in the center of the baker to the ends of the baker and the outer potatoes to the center. Cover and microwave for 8-11 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the baker from microwave. Coarsely mash the potatoes with the Mix ‘N Chop®.
- In a Classic Batter Bowl, whisk the cream cheese until it's smooth. Slowly add the remaining milk, whisking until smooth. Add the cream cheese mixture and butter to the baker. Microwave, covered, for 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture is hot.
- Carefully remove the baker from the microwave. Add the cheddar cheese, green onions, salt, and pepper and mix well until the cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings.
- 8 cups (2 L)
6 servings of about 1⅓ cups (325 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 400, Total Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 12 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Carbohydrate 43 g, Protein 14 g, Sodium 860 mg, Sugars 9 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Fiber 3 g