Easy Tortellini Toss
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, melted
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- 2½ oz. (75 g) Parmesan cheese, grated (about ⅔ cup/150 mL)
- 8 oz. (250 g) deli ham, diced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 bag (16 oz./450 g) frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 can (14.5 oz./411 g) chicken broth
- 1 bag (6 oz./175 g) fresh baby spinach leaves
- Combine the butter and the flour in the Classic Batter Bowl; whisk until smooth. Add the garlic and milk to the butter mixture; whisk well. Microwave, covered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 60 seconds. Add the cheese and whisk until smooth. Add the ham and the black pepper to the batter bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine the tortellini and broth in the Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, for 12-15 minutes, or until the tortellini is tender, stirring every 4-5 minutes. Add the cheese sauce to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the spinach; cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 340, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 1,220 mg, Sugars 4 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Fiber 14 g
If you'd like, you can use 1½ cups (375 mL) of frozen vegetables instead of the spinach. Add it to the baker with cheese sauce and proceed as the recipe directs.
To make this recipe on the stovetop, melt the butter over medium heat in a 2 qt. (1.9 L) Saucepan. Stir in the flour. Add the milk and garlic. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Add the cheese, ham and black pepper. Combine the tortellini and broth in a 12" (30 cm) Skillet. Cover and bring to a simmer over high heat and cook 3 minutes. Add the ham mixture; mix well. Stir in the spinach; cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.