Chicken Parmesan Soup
Give this soup some crunch with homemade croutons made in the microwave!
- ¼ loaf (16 oz./450 g) French bread
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Garlic & Herb Rub, divided
- 1½ cups (375 mL) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) marinara sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz./411g) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion (about 1¾ cups/425 mL), undrained
- 2½ cups (625 mL) diced cooked chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 oz. (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese, finely grated (½ cup/125 mL)
- ¾ cup (175 mL) grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cut the bread into ¾-in. (2-cm) cubes. (You should have about 2 cups/500 mL)
- Toss the bread cubes, oil and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rub in the Deep Covered Baker.
- Microwave the bread cubes, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until they begin to brown, stirring every minute. Remove from the baker and let cool.
- Stir the stock, remaining rub, marinara sauce, tomatoes, chicken and garlic into the baker.
- Microwave, covered, for 11–13 minutes or until the soup is hot.
- Carefully remove baker from microwave and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Top the soup with half of the mozzarella and sprinkle with half of the croutons. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Let stand, covered, for 2–3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with remaining croutons.
- 6 servings of about 1¼ cups (300 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 300, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 1010 mg, Carbohydrate 17 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 7 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 27 g
You can use Garlic-Infused Canola Oil instead of olive oil, if you’d like.
We chose unsalted stock in this recipe because it’s a fast and easy way to give the soup concentrated chicken flavor without adding too much salt.
You can store croutons at room temperature in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag for 3-5 days. Make extra and save them for salads!