New Orleans-Style Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
Smoked sausage, celery, green bell pepper and onion deliver big flavor in a flash.
- 8 oz (250 g) smoked beef sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Creole seasoning
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes (3 1/2 cups/875 mL)
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
Meanwhile, coarsely chop onion with Food Chopper. Thinly slice celery and cut bell pepper into 1/2-in. (1-cm) pieces. Cut chicken into 1/2-in. (1-cm) pieces. In Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl, toss chicken and seasoning together using Chef's Tongs. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and chicken to Skillet; cook and stir 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is no longer pink in center. Add tomatoes and 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of the broth to Skillet; cook 3-4 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
In (2-cup/500-mL) Prep Bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining broth; whisk with Stainless Mini-Whisk until smooth. Slowly add cornstarch mixture to Skillet; stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice squash with Ultimate Mandoline fitted with adjustable blade set on thickest setting; cut slices into quarters. Add squash and salt to Skillet; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 1 minute. Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice, if desired.
- 6 servings of excluding optional ingredient
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 220, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 1330 mg, Fiber 2 g