Cheesy Chili Casserole
When you need to bring a dish to pass, this casual Mexican casserole will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites.
- 1 2/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (6 ounces)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean (90%) ground beef
- 1 package (1-1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix
- 8 slices (1 ounce each) American cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces) mild chili beans in sauce, undrained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions in (4-qt.) Casserole; drain.
Meanwhile, chop bell pepper and onion using Food Chopper. Place ground beef, bell pepper and onion in (12-in.) Skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat 6-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning mix and amount of water listed on package directions.
Cut shapes from cheese slices using any shaped Bread Tube; set aside. Chop remaining pieces of cheese using Food Chopper. Combine chopped cheese, macaroni, seasoned meat mixture, chili beans, tomatoes, corn and salt; mix well. Spoon pasta mixture into Square Baker.
Bake 30 minutes. Top with cheese shapes; continue baking 1-2 minutes or until cheese just begins to melt.
- 8 servings of 1 1/4 cups
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 440, Fat 20 g, Sodium 1020 mg, Dietary Fiber 6 g
If you and your guest like things spicy, use hot chili beans for a dish with more heat.
Lean ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef.