Strawberry Custard Tart
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cold butter
- 2-4 tbsp (30-60 mL) ice-cold water
- 1 package (4.3 oz./121 g) vanilla cook and serve pudding and pie filling (not instant)
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter or margarine
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced strawberries
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- For crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl; mix well. Cut shortening and butter into flour mixture until shortening and butter resemble the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Repeat until mixture is moist enough to form a ball. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Roll dough from center to edges, forming an 11 1/2-inch circle. Place crust in Tart Pan . Trim off any excess dough from edge and prick bottom of crust. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake crust 13-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven to cooling rack; cool completely.
- For filling, in medium saucepan, combine pudding mix and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla; stir until smooth. Cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; pour evenly over crust. Arrange strawberries over filling. Refrigerate 2 hours. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar before serving.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 310, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 37 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 290 mg, Fiber 1 g