Mocha Cappuccino Cake
It's easy to achieve professional-looking results on this beautifully garnished cake with the Easy Accent® Decorator and Deluxe Cheese Grater.
- 1 pkg (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) instant coffee granules, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) boiling water
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) powdered sugar
- 1 container (8 ounces/250 mL) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) semi-sweet chocolate morsels, grated
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of Deep Dish Baker with nonstick cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package directions; pour batter into baker. Bake 40-45 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on Stackable Cooling Rack 15 minutes. Remove from baker; cool completely.
- In Small Batter Bowl, combine granulated sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of the instant coffee granules and boiling water; stir until dissolved and set aside. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons coffee granules; whisk until smooth using Stainless Whisk. Fold whipped topping into cream cheese mixture using Classic Scraper. Place 1 cup of the cream cheese filling into Easy Accent® Decorator; set aside for garnish.
Using Serrated Bread Knife, cut cake in half horizontally to form two even layers. Carefully remove top layer using Lift & Serve™; set aside. Brush half of the coffee mixture over bottom cake layer using Silicone Basting Brush. Spread remaining cream cheese filling over cake layer using Large Spreader. Grate half of the chocolate morsels over filling using Rotary Grater fitted with coarse grating drum. Carefully top with second cake layer. Brush top and sides of cake with remaining coffee mixture. Pipe rosettes of filling around edge of cake using decorator. Grate remaining chocolate over cake.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 360, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 340 mg, Fiber less than 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 2 fruit, 3 1/2 fat (3 carb)
Cook's Tips: To easily cut cakes into layers, mark the middle points on the sides of the cake with several wooden picks. Using the picks as a guide, cut through the center of the cake using Serrated Bread Knife.
To soften cream cheese, microwave on HIGH 15-30 seconds or until softened.
If desired, 1 bar (1.55 ounces) milk chocolate can be substituted for the chocolate morsels.