Homestyle Apple Pie
Everybody will enjoy a slice of this warm apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 recipe Scratch Pie Crust, for double pie crust
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Korintje Cinnamon or ground cinnamon
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 4 cups/1 L) (Braeburn or Granny Smith apples work well, or you can use a combination)
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk
- Optional: 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200 C).
- Prepare the pie crust as directed.
- Combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
Core and peel the apples and cut them in half. Slice the apples using Flex+ Food Processor attachment fitted with the thick slicing blade. Zest the lemon to measure ½ tsp (2 mL) of zest. Juice the lemon to measure ½ tbsp (7 mL) of juice. Add the apples, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the sugar mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Press the pie dough into the Stone Pie Plate and flute the edges.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pie crust and dot with butter.
- Place the crust over the filling, then seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in the top of the crust to vent. Brush the milk evenly over the crust and sprinkle with sugar, if you’d like.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown (Note: You may need to cover the crust with foil if it’s browning too quickly).
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool for at least 3 hours before serving.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 490, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 16 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 200 mg, Carbohydrate 64 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 27 g (includes 16 g added sugar), Protein 6 g
If you’re making this recipe in a deep-dish pie pan, increase the sugar to ¾ cup (175 mL) and use 6 apples. Prepare the rest of the recipe according to directions. If the filling begins to run over the edges, place a lined sheet pan under the pie.