All-Occasion Cookie, Original and Gluten-Free
- 4 sticks butter (500 mL) (do not substitute)
- 1 pkg (15.25-16.5 oz or 461 g) white cake mix
- 2¾ cups (675 mL) flour
- 3 sticks butter (375 mL) (do not substitute)
- 1 pkg (15.25-16.5 oz or 461 g) gluten-free cake mix
- 2¾ cups (675 mL) gluten-free flour (see Cook's Tip)
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). In a Classic Batter Bowl, microwave 2 sticks of the butter, uncovered, on HIGH for 2-3 minutes or until it's melted. Slice the remaining butter into small pieces; add to the melted butter. Let it stand 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cake mix and flour; blend well.
- Whisk the butter until it's very smooth. Pour the butter (and egg for the gluten-free version) into the dry ingredients; mix to form a smooth dough. Divide the dough into 3 portions. Cover the dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes (do not refrigerate overnight.)
- Generously flour the Pastry Mat. Remove one portion of the dough; roll it out evenly to ⅛" (3-mm) thickness, adding additional flour as needed.
- Cut the dough with a 3" (7.5 cm) cookie cutter and place the dough 1" (2.5 cm) apart on a Cookie Sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (15-17 minutes for stoneware) or until the cookies are a very light golden brown. Remove from the oven; cool 3 minutes on the cookie sheet. Remove to the Stackable Cooling Rack to cool completely.
- servings of 2 undecorated cookies
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 320, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 175 mg, Carbohydrate 55 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 2 g
For best results, look for a gluten-free flour that includes white rice flour, xanthan gum, or guar gum in the ingredients.
Use other sizes of cookie cutters to create special-shaped cookies for any occasion.