Piña Colada Trifle
Simple, sublime no-bake dessert!
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks in juice (about 2¼ cups/550 mL)
- 1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups/750 mL)
- 1 jar (7 oz or 213 g) marshmallow cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rum extract
- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries without stems (about 30 cherries), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 (13 oz/370 g) prepared angel food cake
Mix whipped topping, marshmallow cream, rum extract and half of the reserved pineapple juice in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl. Fold in 1 cup (250 mL) of the toasted coconut.
Set aside three of the cherries for garnish. Coarsely chop remaining cherries using Food Chopper. Firmly pat cherries dry with paper towels.
Cut angel food cake into 1-in. (2.5-cm) cubes using Color Coated Bread Knife.
Toss cake cubes and remaining pineapple juice in Stainless (6-qt./6-L) Mixing Bowl.
To assemble trifle, place half of the cake cubes over bottom of Trifle Bowl. Place half of the chopped cherries and pineapple chunks over cake cubes. Spoon half of the coconut cream mixture over pineapple, gently spreading to edges. Repeat layers one time.
Garnish with reserved cherries and remaining ½ cup (125 mL) toasted coconut.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 220, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 210 mg, Carbohydrate 40 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 2 g
It’s important to pat the cherries dry after chopping them to prevent bleeding.
The key to creating light fluffy layers in this trifle is to gently spoon and spread the coconut cream mixture over the pineapple.