Creamy Potato & Corn Chowder
- 1 1/4 lbs (575 g) “B” size red potatoes (about 8 potatoes)
- 8 slices uncooked bacon, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 pkg (12 oz) frozen corn kernels (about 2 1/4 cups/550 mL)
Dice potatoes into 1/2-in. (1-cm) pieces; set aside. Thinly slice bacon crosswise into strips. Cook bacon in All White Ceramic (4.75-qt./4.5-L) Covered Casserole over medium heat 9-11 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from Casserole; drain on paper towels. Drain Casserole, leaving 3 tbsp (45 mL) drippings in Casserole.
Return Casserole to heat; add onion, bell pepper, pressed garlic and thyme. Cook 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add flour; cook and stir until combined. Stir in stock and milk. Add potatoes, half of the bacon, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10-12 minutes or until chowder is thickened and potatoes are tender. Add corn; return to a simmer. Serve with remaining bacon.
8 servings of
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 290, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 780 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 11 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: No information is currently available.
Cook's Tips: No information is currently available.